The Australian Cartoonists Association is now calling for submissions for the 34th Stanley Awards. Submissions will be published in the annual ACA Year Book.
STANLEY AWARD CATEGORIES
A cartoonist who is the original modeller, illustrator or cartoonist of the assets of an animated piece for online broadcast, television, film, interactive digital products and motion comic within the past year. You must provide samples of animated works for submission and for print and a link to the animation online (if possible). An animation company can nominate an animator from the animated company's piece to be considered.
A cartoonist whose body of work in either a cartoon or illustrative format and has been first published in either a physical or a digital medium within the past year for the sole purpose of being used to illustrate a book.
An artist whose body of work is published, privately commissioned caricatured likenesses, and has been first published in either a physical or digital medium or “live” performance within the past year.
Comic Book Artist
An artist whose body of work consists of unrestricted sequential panels in full page, half page or digital format that seek to convey a complete or part story and has been first published in either a physical or a digital medium (such as web comics) within the past year. The entry may be in collaboration with others and cannot be submitted for the Comic Strip category.
Comic Strip Cartoonist
A cartoonist whose body of work consists of regularly-titled, single or limited, self-contained sequential panels in a cartoon or illustrative format, that appears in a regularly published cycle in either a physical or a digital medium within the past year.
A cartoonist whose body of work contains political or social commentary in cartoon or illustrative format and has been first published in either a physical or a digital medium within the past year.
A cartoonist whose body of work appears in humorous cartoon or illustrative format for the sake of illuminating an accompanying article and has been first published in either a physical or a digital medium within the past year.
Single Gag Cartoonist
A cartoonist whose body of work contains no portrait, political, social or satiric commentary, but consists of a single panel, stand-alone joke format and has been first published in either a physical or a digital medium within the past year.
Note: Full members can opt to submit their artwork for the Year Book and choose NOT to be a competitive entry. Any such entries will be marked accordingly and will not be considered eligible for the Stanley Awards. Instead that submission will be considered an acknowledgment and record of that artist’s work.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- You must be a full member of the Australian Cartoonists’ Association and have your 2018/2019 financial year membership fees paid in full. Please note that all memberships expire on July 1. Renewals for Full Membership can be paid online here. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for membership renewal inquiries.
- All work submitted must have been professionally PUBLISHED between July 1, 2017 and August 1, 2018. The ACA reserves the right to request proof of publication.
- You may enter THREE categories. Work not included in its proper category will have the appropriate category assigned by the Year Book sub-committee.
- All entries must be electronic submissions on correctly-sized pages.
- E-mail submissions are preferred IN COLOUR and MUST be a 300 dpi TIFF file or JPEG only. Please send by email only. Do not send via a file hosting service or zip files.
- Please identify caricatures by adding the subject’s name on your page. Please indicate if your submission contains work created in a "live" environment.
- The Year Book sub-committee reserves the right to reject any entry it feels does not comply with the rules or reject entries that are substandard, plagiarised or copied.
- By entering the Stanleys the artist gives permission for the ACA to publish his/her work to promote cartoonists and cartoons in ACA publications and on the ACA website.
- The closing date
is SUNDAY, 9th Septemberhas been extended to SUNDAY, 16th September
YEAR BOOK TEMPLATE
The format of the 2018 Year Book is A4. Submissions are allocated one half of a page. Your artwork must be arranged to fit between a maximum page width of 180mm and a page depth of 110mm. Do NOT include your contact details within the size specifications.
Comic Book Artists, due to the nature of their work, are entitled to one full page 180mm x 250mm.
You can view a previous Year Book here and use it as a guide.
WHEN EMAILING YOUR STANLEYS SUBMISSION
- Please ensure you have supplied the correct details in this order: name, telephone number, website and email. Do not put these details into your entry’s display area.
- Please send your Stanley submissions to email@example.com.
- Send your submissions SEPARATELY. In the subject line write your STANLEY CATEGORY followed by YOUR NAME. It’ll make sorting it out a bit easier.
- Please do NOT create huge files. 1200dpi files are unnecessary.
All enquiries to Peter Broelman: 0407 972 523 or via the email address.